The Columbia Coach Works moved into the building sometime between 1875 and 1886. The Columbia Coach Works remained in business until 1894. The building then housed a second hand furniture store in 1899. In 1904, an agricultural implement firm also moved to the building. Both businesses continued until at least 1909.
In 1913, C.A. Herr Hardware moved into the building. The information below is provided by a relative of Bill Linkous, the owner of C.A. Herr Hardware.
C.A. Herr Hardware was started in 1880 by Calvin Alvin Herr. He started selling farm equipment but eventually expanded to additional lines. The store was on the first floor of a three story building at the corner of third and Walnut Streets. The second and third floor was occupied by the Standard Underwear Company. Rumor has it that an apartment was on one of these floors.